[lbo-talk] crises kill

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Feb 27 10:06:31 PST 2008

On Feb 27, 2008, at 12:49 PM, Mr. WD wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 12:22 PM, B. <docile_body at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Isn't Eric's point similar to one Zizek makes in the
>> movie about him (Zizek, that is), about apparently
>> liberal parents actually utilizing more finessed,
>> slick methods of control?
>
> Well here's the quote you're referring to. I don't think he
> necessarily means that there's something wrong with encouraging
> children to explore themselves. Just that such encouragement isn't
> _necessarily_ liberating.

Oh, I'm with him on this one. Kid, you're going to grandma's. None of that squishy manipulative shit. Though I'd probably ask why he didn't want to go to grandma's. Though his paternal grandma is in a nursing home with advanced Alzheimer's, so it's not really relevant; his maternal grandma, though, is a fine person who deserves only the best treatment.

Doug