[lbo-talk] crises kill

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Feb 28 12:51:02 PST 2008

On Feb 28, 2008, at 3:41 PM, Ben Jackson wrote:

> I have no doubt that neoliberal policies have caused millions of
> deaths, but what is your baseline here? Is this a projection based on
> trends underway before the eighties? What is the proposed scenario
> under which these deaths would not have occurred?

As I recall, one of the early Human Development Reports came up with an estimate based on the decline in mortality rates/rise in life expectancy a decade or two before the debt crisis broke out in 1982 compared with the slower decline in mortality/rise in life expectancy afterwards. Can't remember the number they came up with but it was large.

Doug