[lbo-talk] WFB, again

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 28 22:05:16 PST 2008

It'd just be sad if this turned into some shameful spectacle like that of Bill Clinton waxing fondly over the coffin of Richard Nixon.

Yeah, Clinton was a schmuck, anyway. But we aren't Bill Clinton - we'd have higher standards, I'd hope. I am no fan of crowing in triumph over any human's death (well, unless it was, like, Hitler's), but let's get real. The harm WFB has done to the causes we cherish and feel very strongly about -- that's hard to overestimate.

Gotta respect him for his learning/culture/eloquence/suave manner? Sorry, I'll take a pass -- and say, "Screw that." I have nothing to say about WFB, personally, except to remind folks not to whitewash the serious harm he did for causes we think are necessary for making society a better, more humane place.

Clearly and uncontroversially he was a bad guy, a dedicated opponent to ideals I would hope we hold dear, not academically, but because they have ramifications for real-world suffering.

-B.

wrobert at uci.edu wrote:

"There was also the incident with the debate with Vidal, which has been brought up here, but what never seems to get mentioned is that Buckley compared the student new left with the Hitler Youth...."

B. wrote:

"Are we talking about the same William F. Buckley that told Chomsky on air he'd "punch [him] in the god damn face"? That civil guy?"