[lbo-talk] Steve Schwarzman in soft focus

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Feb 29 10:21:00 PST 2008

<http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2008/02/ steve_schwarzman_employs_catho.html>

Steve Schwarzman Endeavors To Look More Human

Blackstone honcho Stephen Schwarzman seems to be conducting a little public-relations campaign to sweeten his image. Fresh off a New Yorker profile in which "the designated villain of an era on Wall Street" came across as semi-endearing, he took the Times along on a trip to the Sacred Heart School in the Bronx, to which he recently gave $5 million. “I used to do homework and got a 90, but not much above that,” Uncle Stevie told one fourth-grader he has reportedly been corresponding with, according to the Times. “But I couldn’t get 96’s like you did.” Explaining why he had chosen this school, which is run by the archdiocese, to bestow his wealth, the gagillionaire cited the 98 percent graduation rate and the diverse population. Then, for a second, the old Schwarzman sneaked out: “You can fire people,” he said. “It’s nonunion.”