[lbo-talk] econ policy, HRC vs BHO

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Fri Feb 29 18:39:39 PST 2008

Feh. I know I said I'd post on this. I'm trying to get the sucker I wrote published. Briefly:

Nomi doesn't mention the matter of fiscal policy. HRC wants budget surpluses. BHO does not expect to balance the budget any time soon. (The TNR article recognized this difference.) BHO also wants an infrastructure bank, which would presumably be off-budget and presumably increase the overall deficit.

The mandate thing thanks to Krugman is a molehill masquerading as a mountain. Otherwise there is no advantage on health care for either, though the politics of BHO's position are more congenial for November.

HRC is a free-trader. I don't give a sh*t what she is saying now. You don't need a long memory to recall Bill's cooptationist antics re: Seattle.

Both would leave the Fed alone. No advantage for either.

Housing: the interest rate freeze is, to quote WJC, a fairy tale. Illegal. Infeasible. Not going to happen.

Family leave: edge to Clinton for a grant to state govs versus the dependent care tax credit? State govs are a toilet bowl for grants.

Clinton would create 5 million jobs, BHO only 2 million?!? I myself would create six million jobs, so there!!

And then . . . oh well . . . might as well watch teevee.