[lbo-talk] Allen, racism, fascism and beyond

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jan 1 07:26:47 PST 2008

On Jan 1, 2008, at 2:10 AM, (Chuck Grimes) wrote:

> All of which reminds me, why do you suppose the primary elections
> always start in Iowa and New Hamshire? Well because they are among the
> whitest places in the country

Yup. Though of course rarely remarked upon - it's just part of the national political unconscious that these states are the "real America," even though they're far whiter and more rural than the places most of us live.

I just read that the turnout at the Democrats' Iowa caucuses in 2004 was 120,000. That's about how many people live in my zip code. It's about 1/5 the size of a congressional district. Ridiculous.

Doug