[lbo-talk] Creeping Fascism

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Jan 3 11:16:25 PST 2008

One more shot. I do think that the what I consider really creepy obsession with the word "fascism" represents both laziness AND fear of political action emerging from that laziness.

If fascism is the enemy, then we can all simply relax and vote for nice Democrats. All the intellectual work has been done for us by old analyses of Italian and German fascism so we don't have to think any more bu just read those analyses carefully. Also it solves all problems of agitation. We don't have to agitate to form groups that can fight the creeping authoritarianism of the last 47 years -- something we don't know how to do. We just need to yell "Fascism" and kick the rascals out at the next election.

We son't know how to fight the real danger; we don't know how to effectively raise awareness of it; there are no popular DP politicians that we can support to oppose it. We have to think. We have to a lot of hard and mostly unsuccessful local organizing. Fuck all that. Just yell FAscist.

Carrol