[lbo-talk] Creeping Fascism

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu Jan 3 15:29:25 PST 2008

Carrol Cox wrote:

> I had and have immense respect for the Panthers, and I think some
> aspects of their work still point usefully to future possibilities. I
> knew a number in person, and nothing in the '60s hurt (and still hurts)
> like the murder of Fred Hampton. But their very strengths and successes
> showed most vividly what all of us in the '60s lacked -- any sense of
> history. Within this fundamental (but in the circumstances unavoidable)
> weakness it is sort of pointless to identify this or that particular
> error, blunder, idiocy, etc.

This is a bit tangential, but this afternoon I was touring the Nelson-Atkins art museum with my niece. We stopped in the gift shop and I discovered a really nice book on an artist involved with the Black Panthers.

Black Panther: The Revolutionary Art of Emory Douglas by Danny Glover, Kathleen Cleaver, Amiri Baraka, and Sam Durant

# Hardcover: 208 pages # Publisher: Rizzoli (February 6, 2007) # Language: English # ISBN-10: 0847829413 # ISBN-13: 978-0847829415

Chuck