[lbo-talk] Open source project management software?

Matt lbo4 at beyondzero.net
Fri Jan 4 06:39:10 PST 2008

On Sun, Dec 30, 2007 at 04:30:29PM -0600, Chuck wrote:
> This may be one of the odder questions I've ever asked this list, but
> I'm hoping that some of you can help me out.
>
> I'm looking for open source planning and project management software
> that runs on Windows. I'm looking for something that will enable me to
> track several projects and has those timeline charts (Gannt charts?).
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Suggestions for similar software for Linux are also appreciated, since
> I'll be moving my computing to that platform this year.

I've tried Open Workbench, and it is a far cry from MS Project, which is probably one of the better pieces of software to come out of Redmond. Workbench is usable but it lacks a lot of the sophisticated features and the interface is painful.

Planner looks and feels a lot like MS Project. I've used it for small projects where I just needed to sketch out a simple plan, creating dependencies and using availability to create a rough timeline. But I haven't tried it for anything big and I don't know if it supports managing a multi-project portfolio.

Good luck,

Matt

-- PGP RSA Key ID: 0x1F6A4471 aim: beyondzero123 PGP DH/DSS Key ID: 0xAFF35DF2 yahoo msg: beyondzero123 http://blogdayafternoon.com

My top-level question about Sept. 11 is, do we really want to live in a world in which U.S. intelligence can detect every half-million-dollar, 20-person, two-year activity?

-Whitfield Diffie