[lbo-talk] Dennis Perrin on the ecstasy of the Dems

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 4 11:48:12 PST 2008

Charles Brown wrote:

"CB: Maybe he was saying that, but in America , a fascist movement won't be with a pleasing, uplifting, hopefully entertaining figure, who is also Black with the politics of a typical Black American. That's the main political point. US fascism will be racist not anti-racist."

Charles,

Fascism was/is also sexist, yet plenty of high-profile women supported it. Female fascists endorsed essentially sexist policies from positions of relative power, though they were female. What's this deal Obama has with Social Security, essentially doing the alarmist thing about it needing a serious overhaul -- the type of program a lot of African-Americans have as a tenuous sort of lifeline to bare bones existence?

I don't think Obama is a fascist. But I think he could (has?) pander to America's uglier instincts by adopting rhetoric and enacting policies that have the effect of hurting minorities more than others. Just like Rice or Powell can do that, or just like Thatcher, a woman, can support basically patriarchal policies.

-B.