[lbo-talk] Dennis Perrin on the ecstasy of the Dems

Eric rayrena at realtime.net
Fri Jan 4 14:20:41 PST 2008

>It's worrying when people on the left lose sight of the essentials.
>
>Anyone who is part of the two party system in the United States will receive
>corporate backing. Although there will certainly be competition between
>different aspects of Capital about whom to support and which party, to even
>assume that any of the current candidates would be outside the system is
>bizarre.
>
>To this extent, bashing Obama because he isn't part of the left and should
>be (because he is black) loses sight of how much Capital props up the US
>political system. Yes Obama would be very refreshing after Bush but he won't
>change much past the periphery.

Precisely. Dennis's and Doug's newfound abhorrence of Obama is at best disingenuous, given that both of them know what the Democratic Party's function is. Suddenly the Democratic nominee's being a corporate shill and a warmonger is a scandal? Now, if they had actually worked to get someone like, say, Kucinich nominated, I could take their outbursts seriously. But Doug laughs at people like Kucinich, and both of them know that the Dems are structurally opposed to any sort of positive political change, so their chortling is pretty hard to take seriously.