[lbo-talk] Dennis Perrin on the ecstay of the Dems

Charles A. Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Fri Jan 4 12:18:04 PST 2008

The only thing that bothers me a little with this democrat up beat message, future is ours stuff is that the past will have not disappeared when Bush leaves office. All the lawlessness, outright crimes, concentration of executive power, secret police, jails, courts, and processing, and of course the two wars themselves will still be with us.

I noticed that none of top three candidates actually addressese these issues, except the war, which we are just supposed to piddle down to a minor foriegn atrocity.

So I would predict that whoever gets the nomination and mostly likely manages to win the election will sweep all of this under the capet. All our liberal citizens will just forget it ever happened. And of course the Right will start in on the Democrats lost the war to hang it all on them.

This raises an interesting dilemma. Once in office how to you get rid of all the accumulated shit Bush has perpetrated? My impulse is to have then entire executive undergo a serious shakedown to get the rats out, turn its bureacracies back into proper functioning systems, appropriate for an open society, and then set up prosecution teams to hang some of these bastards out to dry, for the sake of justice, but more importantly history. The point being, this sort lawlessness can not stand as a precedent.

But doing all that is a major project all its own, would certainly serious aggrevate the dummies who voted for and support these jerks, and might spark a reaction with even more rightwing vehemence.

The other alternative just pisses me off. It dies with Bush, and just move on and forget. This leaves precedent that can always be used when more rightwing jerks get into office as they certainly will someday...

CG