[lbo-talk] Dennis Perrin on the ecstasy of the Dems

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Fri Jan 4 13:35:44 PST 2008

>>> "Dwayne Monroe"
It's good ( and at the very least "anti-fascist") that these white voters feel good about voting for a Black person, even if he's doing a Martin Luther King "i have a dream" message.

Sure, it's nice that in 21st century America, more white folks than ever before think black people are human beings and, it follows, worthy of the Presidency.

But wait! Do you hear that sound? It's the postmodern complexity klaxon. Listen carefully to its warning.

It's possible to have a simultaneously post-racist yet still imperialist/neolib future. The death (or at least diminishment) of white supremacism as a political factor may simply lead to a multi-ethnic supremacism based upon the ever popular notion of America the Exceptional.

^^^^ CB: Yea, I don't think this vote in Iowa is a sign that the revolution is just around the corner. Actually, I'm pretty down on the US and its whole political scene today. I mean the US just elected Bush twice, is carrying out fascist war in Iraq, capital just won a big class battle against the auto workers, on and on. We are in the depths of Reaganism.

I'm not ecstactic myself about this Iowa vote. However, I must take note of this one small positive about the US politics even in the depths of Reaganism. Somehow a bunch of white people voted for a Black person for president. It's a tiny good thing in a sea of trouble. I tend to try not to complain about how bad things are _all_ the time. It gets to be whiny :>)

^^^^^

Looking at Rice and Powell, some have concluded they're anomalies - "racist blacks" whose arch conservatism (in the case of Rice) is evidence of their divergence from black normality.

I've taken away a different lesson: black people, when given the chance, divide themselves into the same sorts of political/philosophical camps as the majority. Is there a fundamental black progressivism? If so, it only persists in the face of white supremacism. Liberated from that constraint (which creates partial distance from some of the national manias and myths) black Americans are as likely as their white cousins to launch cruise missiles.

To put it another way, in the long run, Rice isn't at all an aberration but a glimpse of the post-feminist post-civil rights yet still imperialist future.

^^^^^^^ CB : My only thought on that is that capitalism in the US can't really last without racism and male supremacy. So, if there really is an end to racism, capitalism and imperialism will go too. Capitalism has never existed without racism. They are integrally intertwined; two sides of a coin.

^^^^^

Clarence Thomas, who you mentioned in your post, is merely a paleo-jackass by comparison.

.d.