[lbo-talk] Dennis Perrin on the ecstasy of the Dems

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 4 14:18:07 PST 2008

Eric wrote:

> Precisely. Dennis's and Doug's newfound abhorrence of Obama is at
> best disingenuous, given that both of them know what the Democratic
> Party's function is. Suddenly the Democratic nominee's being a
> corporate shill and a warmonger is a scandal? Now, if they had
> actually worked to get someone like, say, Kucinich nominated, I could
> take their outbursts seriously. But Doug laughs at people like
> Kucinich, and both of them know that the Dems are structurally
> opposed to any sort of positive political change, so their chortling
> is pretty hard to take seriously.

Why is it disingenuous to state Obama is worse for people of color than Edwards? Unfortunately this fact is easily masked by the superficial appearance of voting for a black candidate, instead of a traditional white male, appears to be the more progressive position. You'll have a hard time convincing me many white libs don't know this and that is the reason they like Obama. Appearances are more important than anything else in American politics. They get to "look" progressive and vote for a minority while being assured he will maintain the status quo better than his rivals. It's a dream come true for them.

John Thornton