[lbo-talk] India's steel capacity to touch 60 mt by this fiscal end

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Fri Jan 4 15:05:20 PST 2008

The Hindu Business Line http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/

Sunday, Dec 30, 2007

Steel capacity to touch 60 mt by this fiscal end http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/2007/12/30/stories/2007123051280300.htm

Phalguna Jandhyala

New Delhi, Dec. 29 Domestic steel capacity, the main as well as the secondary producers together, is likely to touch 60 million tonnes (mt) by the end of the current financial year. Currently, the total domestic steel capacity is around 56.84 mt. “From April to October 2007, the total production of the industry was 30.31 mt. Annualising this, for the entire year we expect the production to be around 55 mt. Assuming that the capacity utilisation is maintained at 90 per cent, like it has been in the last couple of years, we expect the annual capacity to be slightly over 60 mt,” an official in the Steel Ministry told Business Line. http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/2007/12/30/stories/2007123051280300.htm