[lbo-talk] Dennis Perrin on the ecstasy of the Dems

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 15:55:23 PST 2008

On Jan 4, 2008 12:57 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> On Jan 4, 2008, at 12:13 PM, Charles Brown wrote:
>
> > One thing an _American_ fascist movement won't be
> > is a bunch of white people voting for a Black person. That's an
> > anti-fascist move in a America.
>
> A black person saying race doesn't matter anymore is a whole
> different ball of wax.

& Doug said earlier: "'ll say this: the key to Obama's appeal, says Ford, is that he makes white people think that race doesn't matter anymore, which makes them feel good all over. A white politician couldn't get away with that argument; Obama can."

And Carrol said earlier: "Now THIS is what an American Fascist Movement would look like! I'm NOT calling Obama a fascist, I'm only saying that this is what such a movement would LOOK like. If an actual fascist leader comes along, he will look far more like Obama than like Bush."

I want to thank you guys for something. For a while I have been looking at some aspects of the Obama phenom and trying to call up what it reminded me of.... And suddenly you both articulated the cue to remind me. The Obama movement reminds me a little of the "John Doe Clubs" in the Capra movie "Meet John Doe". Now I wonder who is playing the cynical Barbara Stanwyck character behind Obama... and who is playing the big boss Edward Arnold pulling the strings. And Obama sort of does remind me of a Gary Cooper type. (Never liked Cooper.)

Having said this I sort of find myself agreeing with Woj. Shocking! I think that Obama is mildly progressive and has real social activism roots. I don't think that it is altogether a bad phenomena that white people don't want to think of themselves as racists and will vote for a black.

Jerry