[lbo-talk] Sub-prime crisis in Kansas City

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 4 16:09:28 PST 2008

Jordan Hayes wrote:
> John Thornton predicts:
>

>> Targeting poor blacks more than poor whites isn't limiting
>> yourself to one kind of poor. It targets both but unequally
>> based on racist criteria. Since the extent of this mess is
>> still unknown we don't have reliable data to show this
>> conclusively but I'd be willing to bet that when the data
>> becomes available it will support this idea.
>> Would be be willing to bet otherwise?
>>

> *shrug*
>
> But I'll tag this PREDICTION so we can come back and check it sometime.
>
> /jordan

I would have been disappointed if you hadn't.

If you know of any real data to date that either supports or refutes my prediction I'm ready to be proved wrong. Until then I have the entire history of US racist policies on which to base my prediction.

Why is it so hard to see racist exploitation when it's right in front of you? Why the need for mental gymnastics to show that capitalism isn't racist? If poor whites outnumber poor blacks 4:1 (or whatever number, I'm too lazy to look it up just for an analogy) then sub-prime loans to poor people should approximate that ratio. If they don't please tell me why racism isn't a good explanation for the disparity? I know for a fact that in Atlanta of black home buyers making more than $100,000 a year, 41 percent got a subprime mortgage, compared with 7 percent of whites in the same income category. But of course we can't say that's because blacks are targeted for these loans because in spite of 200 years of racist policies in the US we have to give the benefit of the doubt to whites that they aren't racist until absolute irrefutable (read nearly unobtainable) levels of proof have been demonstrated. It may be another example of a happy coincidence that favors whites and their opinions over those of persons of color. I'm thinking of applying for trademark protection on that last phrase. : ) I know it's impolite to state this so blatantly but, god damn, I wish I was white so I could see race issues clearly instead of through the clouded perceptions of a minority.

John Thornton