[lbo-talk] Dennis Perrin on the ecstasy of the Dems

bitch at pulpculture.org bitch at pulpculture.org
Fri Jan 4 18:52:23 PST 2008

At 02:22 PM 1/4/2008, Dwayne Monroe wrote:
>It's possible to have a simultaneously post-racist yet still
>imperialist/neolib future. The death (or at least diminishment) of
>white supremacism as a political factor may simply lead to a
>multi-ethnic supremacism based upon the ever popular notion of America
>the Exceptional.

As Ange used to point out, we make the mistake of assuming racialization can only be applied to skin color. She once wrote some fabulous stuff here about the racialization of the poor -- a _class racialization_ which targets the body in ways that are *really* acceptable among all kinds of people, poor and not, of all races and ethnicities.

It blew me away initially and I knee-jerk wanted to argue with it, but as I read more it was a really compelling analysis.

Speaking of which, I hope Chuck G is reading b/c I have an assload to say about his recent essay on whiteness. What you've hit on Chuck is what black feminists started demanding back in the 70s and, from which, these early critiques led to the development of a radical women of color argument about the need for whites to focus on whiteness.

Aside from exploring my inner queer dewd with various readings, I decided to start looking more closely at whiteness studies. First up: Matt Wray's _Not Quite White_. MAtt, if you remember CHuck, was from the old Bad Subjects list.

Anyway, we're releasing a web site next week, my first as lead developer, and I'm swamped. So more on all that later.