[lbo-talk] Sub-prime crisis in Kansas City

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Fri Jan 4 18:56:49 PST 2008

Doug Henwood wrote:
> On Jan 4, 2008, at 6:00 PM, Seth Ackerman wrote:
>

>>Jordan Hayes wrote:
>>
>>>Why limit yourself to one kind of poor?
>>>

>>But in general, I think that's right....
>

> Why do you assume racists are economically rational?
>
> Yeah racism is larger than matters of individual prejudice, but I
> don't see how racism is meaningful as a category unless you can
> locate it in specific human acts and relationships. Sometimes it
> sounds like phlogiston.
>
> Doug

It's not that complicated. If race impacts the allocation of valuable resources in a society, racism exists in that society. Granted, verifying racism involves detailed empirical analysis, but it's relatively straightforward to document. What muddies the water here is the quintessential American fallacy that racism can be reduced to individual prejudiced attitudes.

Miles