[lbo-talk] Conversation wilth El Baradei on Iran

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Sat Jan 5 04:23:55 PST 2008

IAEA http://www.iaea.org/

Transcripts of Interviews http://www.iaea.org/NewsCenter/Transcripts/index.html

Transcript of Conversation with IAEA Director General Mohamed ElBaradei http://www.iaea.org/NewsCenter/Transcripts/2007/cr301007.html

Charlie Rose Show with Charlie Rose

"ELBARADEI: Well, Iran, we still have question marks about its program. Why do we have the question marks, Charlie? Because they started that program 20 years in a clandestine manner. They´re arguing that we could not have done it otherwise because we are under sanctions. However, the problem for us is to reconstruct 20 years of clandestine work - research, procurement, experiments - and we are going through that. We have done quite a lot in understanding the scope and the nature of the program, but we still have a number of question marks, and therefore, I keep saying, you know, that we cannot give you a pass. We cannot say that your program is kosher until you come, you know, with the necessary documentation we need, the access to individuals, the necessary access to locations. Then we can say Iran today is OK. But that´s one part of the problem. The other part, that there is a major distrust between Iran and the West, primarily the U.S., that goes at least half a century, since 1953, when the nationally elected government was removed by the CIA, the hostage crisis - there is a lot of distrust, lots of grievances between the U.S. and Iran, and - and shared in many ways by many Western countries, that they see Iranian behavior in the region is not - is not necessarily, you know, the way that ought to be, so." http://www.iaea.org/NewsCenter/Transcripts/2007/cr301007.html