[lbo-talk] Obama Chronicles 2: Matt Taibbi on the pleasures of hope

berber carpet bomb berber.carpet.bomb at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 11:43:34 PST 2008

On Jan 5, 2008 12:19 PM, Dwayne Monroe <dwayne.monroe at gmail.com> wrote:

> [quote]
>
> Normally the sight of prospective voters muttering platitudes about
> "hope" and "change" would make any reporter erupt with derisive
> laughter, but at Obama events one hears outbursts of optimism so
> desperate and artless that I can't help but check my cynical instinct.
> Grown men and women look up at you with puppy-dog eyes and all but beg
> you not to shit on their dreams. It's odd to say, but it's actually
> moving.
>
> [end quote]

---

that's the look i got when i brought up bhutto's less "revolutionary" and inspired moments.oh, please don't trouble me with complicated details. i don't want to have to think here. you're a real downer. someone i can believe in, and a member of the downtrodden classes to boot. leave me the fuck alone and take your smarty pants opinions with you. Bhutto was a SAINT. a SAINT I'm tellin' ya."

yeah: my eyes glaze over, i shrug and move on. Seriously, I quite frankly think that the bulk of it is that it is sheer laziness. Total and utter laziness of the kind carrol seems to point at re people too lazy to work up any effort to actually DO something, who want some savior to come along and rescue them, who want to blog the revolution beause they are too lazy to get off their ass and get some exercise. or, heaven help them, have to deal with the messy world of human interaction.

rilly and trooly, I don't think it's a whole lot more than, "I want to feel virtuous about myself for supporting a black guy for office. I'm a democrat and we finally have the opportunity to get back in the WH. Now we can really rub it in their noses and show 'em how much better we are than them, the racists over there."

that just makes Obama into pivotbabe for the circle jerk of more white supremacy. which was what Dennis' youtube was all about. It's keeping race (and poverty and structural social inequality and so forth) about *white* people and their feelings and needs. It keeps whites right smack in the center of it all, yet again.

bl