[lbo-talk] Dennis Perrin on the ecstasy of the Dems

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 18:25:11 PST 2008

On Jan 4, 2008 12:36 PM, Charles Brown <charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us> wrote:

> It's an anti-fascist leading indicator when a
> bunch of white Americans vote for a Black person. I mean a normal Black
> person, not Condeleeza Rice that type.

Let me get this straight: A woman raised by a black schoolteacher and a black minister (who, IIRC, moonlit as a school guidance counselor) in Birmingham has less claim to her race than a man with exactly one month of exposure to the African side of his family, who was otherwise raised exclusively by affluent whites and Indonesians?

I shy away from the recurring debate over the "authenticity" of Obama's blackness, because it's none of my business and I don't care.

But if you're seriously arguing that Obama's blackness is "realer" than Rice's simply because you marginally prefer the former's politics, I'm going to have to stick my nose in long enough to object.