[lbo-talk] My soul is made of uranium hexafluoride (was: Sub-prime crisis in Kansas City)

berber carpet bomb berber.carpet.bomb at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 13:31:17 PST 2008

but that is *precisely* what te supporters want to think -- that is blackness, and it rubbing off on them, will prove them more understanding of the people you are talking about -- the oppressed.. and it is precisely *when* proponents of identity politics know that, exactly as you do, there is no guarantee that they tend to be obama prponents. Thus, there need bs no contradiction between being an advocate of identity politics -- which is probably not what you think it is for them -- and being an opponent of obama.

Example: Dwayne, kevin andre elliot at http://slanttruth.com, sylvia at http://problymchilde.wordpress.com, bfp at http://www.brownfemipower.com

i guess what really irritates, joanna, is that you have all kinds of attitudes about identity politics, but you have never once shown yourself actually familiar with their writing or that you keep up with their discussions these days. not these bloggers, but the people who were involved in the building of an identity politics movement in the first place: what they wrote then, 10 years ago, today. you don't have to read the bloggers, oh no. But you could go to the nearest bookstore.

I just got Gloria Anzaldua's 'this bridge we call home' the updated version 'this bridge we call our back' with white women and men, among many other groups, and made some other very different arguments from the ones you typically attribute to id politis proponents like anzaldua.

in other words, you act as if you came up with the critique that has led to developments like this book edited by Anzaldua. And yet, *they* came up with it way before you ever made a post to this list. They were writing about it in the 80s for pete's sake. and not one word of attribution is given them when you claim your criticisms. if you were familiar with the terrain, you wouldn't dare write like that.

it's insulting to all those, especially women of color, who have been working on stuff that you would approve of, long before you bothered to make the arguments here.