[lbo-talk] 12%, plus

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Mon Jan 7 17:32:09 PST 2008

John Thornton asks:

> Since use of these metals, especially platinum, is rising every
> year why shouldn't they rise in value unless we started finding
> large deposits elsewhere and they flooded the market?

You might be right, but there are a few other things that could happen:

- We might find a different way to do what we've been doing

. "New thingy made of used chewing gum replaces catalytic converters!"

. "Desalination cheap and simple!" report from Science Fair

- The market may have already priced in that premium and decide that it's done with it

. How much is oil (similar situation) _really_ worth? $60/bbl?

. Latest news: "Dollar kicks Euro Ass!"

- Players could poison the well and prices could go down due to fear despite you being 'right' ...

. Bordeaux futures in the 80s (due to counterfeiting)

. California real estate in 2006

http://biz.yahoo.com/ibd/080107/etf.html?.v=1

/jordan