[lbo-talk] Kuchinich explains backing Obama over Edwards

Charles Peterson charlesppeterson at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 7 21:42:27 PST 2008

Since it's become clear to me what a fake progessive Obama is, even by Democrat standards (anti-union, Social Security privatizer, anti-national-healthcare, pro-military-expansion, pro-bomb-wherever, anti-partisan, anti-anti-racist, etc.), perhaps even more of a GOP enabler than Clinton because of all the post-partisan feel-good nonsense, gimme shouting James Carville anyday, I was outraged when Kucinich swung his (few-but-highly-symbolic-to-uninformed-progressives) Iowa supporters toward Obama. Last week on Bill Moyer's Journal Kucinich simply dodged the question why he did so. But today in a supporter email, he did give a rationalization. What do you think about this?

(He's trashing Edwards rather than blessing Obama.)

Quoted from Kucinich email:

"In answer to your questions about why I didn't support former Senator John Edwards on the second ballot in Iowa: I have serious concerns about his connections to a Wall Street hedge fund, Fortress Investment Group. While attacking others for accepting campaign money from Washington lobbyists, he is up to his ears in money from Wall Street special interests. He made half a million dollars in a single year for attending a few meetings for Fortress and has invested a substantial part of his own personal wealth in the hedge fund whose portfolios are responsible for sub-prime predatory lending practices, Medicare privatization, and an entire range of corporate sharp dealings that are driving the middle class into poverty."

End of quotation from Kucinich

Of course, Kucinich could have said nothing and simply let his supporters decide for themselves what to do.

Charles

____________________________________________________________________________________ Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search. http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping