[lbo-talk] Kuchinich explains backing Obama over Edwards

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 8 12:27:43 PST 2008

> Unlike Edwards Obama will not state that privatizing SS is NOT part of
> his agenda which means he will likely support such a plan if he deems it
> politically expedient. I don't know why Max states that Obama is against
> privatizing SS. Max, if you have something from Obama specifically
> claiming he opposes privatizing SS I'd like to see it.
>

> John Thornton

I'm going to respond to my own post since I am mistaken in the above statement. Below is from a November interview with Jonathan Singer:

Barack Obama: I think the point your making is why talk about it right now. Is that right?

Jonathan Singer: Yeah. And why use the term "crisis"?

Obama: It is a long-term problem. I know that people, including you, are very sensitive to the concern that we repeat anything that sounds like George Bush. But I have been very clear in fighting privatization. I have been adamant about the fact that I am opposed to it. What I believe is that it is a long-term problem that we should deal with now. And the sooner the deal with it then the better off it's going to be.