[lbo-talk] Kuchinich explains backing Obama over Edwards

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Tue Jan 8 15:48:46 PST 2008

Doug Henwood wrote:
> On Jan 8, 2008, at 4:41 PM, Max B. Sawicky wrote:
>
>> I like some kind of cap, though it should be indexed and rise
>> gradually over time. The reason is to support the social insurance
>> rationale for the program.
>
> A smart person told me long ago - though I haven't fact-checked this
> myself - that the Congressional debate on SS made it clear that it
> was supposed to be financed by labor and not capital. Since incomes
> above a certain level are conceptually returns to capital, that's the
> logic behind the cap. You support this, Max?
>
> Doug

There's something to the logic, but the basic rationale has been that this is insurance for workers, so they should pay for it, or for most of it. In a different environment it might be possible to propose a different framework, but that is less urgent these days than ten other things I could think of.