[lbo-talk] None of the above ?

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Tue Jan 8 16:59:50 PST 2008

On Jan 8, 2008, at 7:29 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> Doug Henwood wrote:
>>

>> Sorry, I was wrong on this. But Truman was a candidate in 1952.
>
> Doug -- I voted in 1952 -- and I voted for Stevenson. My memory for
> names is decaying but not that far yet. Truman did more or less
> handpick
> Stevenson, and got his way (if I remember correctly) by letting it be
> known that it was either him again or Stevenson.

In 1952, Truman (who had originally wanted Eisenhower to run for the Dems) was a candidate until the New Hampshire primary. Having been beaten there by Estes Kefauver, Truman announced that he would not run. The Convention still was that of a political party, and the few primaries counted for little. There were at least two ballots, I recall, among Stevenson, Kefauver, Harriman, and (the Solid Southerner) Russel.

Shane Mage

"Thunderbolt steers all things...it consents and does not consent to be called Zeus."

Herakleitos of Ephesos