[lbo-talk] None of the above ?

Sean Andrews cultstud76 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 18:19:44 PST 2008

On Jan 8, 2008 8:26 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
> Did you read the Wikipedia text? HST got beaten in NH and quit.

http://tinyurl.com/3c7fa

According to the Living Room Candidate page,

"President Harry S. Truman entered 1952 with his popularity plummeting. The Korean War was dragging into its third year, Senator Joseph McCarthy's anti-Communist crusade was stirring public fears of an encroaching "Red Menace," and the disclosure of widespread corruption among federal employees rocked the administration. After losing the New Hampshire primary to Tennessee Senator Estes Kefauver, who had chaired a nationally televised investigation of organized crime in 1951, President Truman announced on March 29, 1952, that he would not seek re-election. Truman threw his support behind Illinois Governor Adlai Stevenson, who repeatedly declined to run but was eventually drafted as the Democratic nominee on the strength of his eloquent keynote speech at the convention."

[seems to be some cribbing from this description, with some colorful language, questionable evidence, and judgment thrown in for the wiki. It's actually the kind of thing I'd fault my students for since it is not listed as a reference nor cited in text. It appears under external links but not as a source. Strangely enough, the bit about Truman initially wanting Stephenson to take his place doesn't make it in the plagiarist's "cut and paste." Makes me have a little less faith in the wiki process. Lucky for us we have one of the voters who happened to be paying attention.-s]