[lbo-talk] Obama transcends change

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jan 9 05:51:40 PST 2008

On Jan 6, 2008, at 4:58 PM, Shane Taylor wrote:
> "I don't think in ideological terms"...Obama said, continuing on the
> healthcare theme. "Everybody who supports single-payer healthcare
> says, 'Look at all this money we would be saving from
> insurance and paperwork.' That represents 1 million, 2
> million, 3 million jobs of people who are working at
> Blue Cross Blue Shield or Kaiser or other places. What
> are we doing with them? Where are we employing them?"

Meanwhile, each succeeding winter brings up afresh the great question, “what to do with the unemployed"

Engels, http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1867-c1/p6.htm

When bourgeois politicians talk about saving "jobs", they're really talking about saving their friends in the capitalist class and their friends' profits. If the unemployed can be employed to make profits for the employing class, they are, in capitalist terms, from the capitalist point of view, productive. If workers are employed in a State system, like say, healthcare, and there are no profits being made, the capitalist politicians will talk about "job loss".

http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1863/theories-surplus-value/index.htm

Mike B)

"Would you have freedom from wage-slavery.." Joe Hill http://www.shelfari.com/o1516968161

Make the switch to the world's best email. Get the new Yahoo!7 Mail now. www.yahoo7.com.au/worldsbestemail