[lbo-talk] McKinney on Obama (post-Iowa)

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 9 07:42:23 PST 2008

--- Wendy Lyon <wendy.lyon at gmail.com> wrote:

> >From
> http://www.allthingscynthiamckinney.com/node/226
>

> There is another message coming out of Iowa that is
> aimed directly at
> Black people. Former Clinton presidential adviser
> and columnist Dick
> Morris wrote that with Obama's victory in Iowa,
> "race is no longer a
> factor in American politics." Tell that to the Black
> folks living in
> New Orleans and the Gulf Coast in the aftermath of
> Hurricanes Katrina
> and Rita, or who are facing "Hurricane America" in
> cities and
> communities all across the country.

[WS:] I fundamentally disagree with the above interpretation i.e. that with Obama's victory "race is no longer a factor." I think it will be a very diffrent factor - and the transformation will be due to the fact that the "race" will no longer speak from the postion of a supplicant, or at least not exclusively so, but it will start speaking from the position of legitimate power (as opposed to bogus power or illusions of power created by black identity politics.)

As to Brzezinski being Obama's advisor - I think it is terrible. He is a narrow minded virulent Russophobe & anti-communist, and one of the key architect of the US hegemonism. If the information you quoted is true, this is a wet blanket for my attitude toward Obama.

Wojtek

____________________________________________________________________________________ Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ