[lbo-talk] me on Kuttner's latest

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Jan 11 09:13:08 PST 2008

Dennis Claxton wrote:

> From Doug's review:
>
> >Parents spend just three minutes a day talking to their kids.
>
> Unbelievable. I could never talk to my nine year old again and beat
> this average over a lifetime. Where did you get this info?

Well, in a couple years your if-clause may be a reality. The assumption of reactions to this seems to be that such conversation is at the parent's initiative -- which is true for the first few years. My guess would be that parents spend far more time talking to children age 0-4 than they do to children age 4-13, and that thereafter the conversation drops through a black hole, because it now depends wholly on the child, who isn't interested.

Carrol