[lbo-talk] me on Kuttner's latest

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Jan 11 09:39:39 PST 2008

berber carpet bomb wrote:

> On Jan 11, 2008 7:22 AM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
> > It's not clear who the audience for this book is. ... The liberal netroots maybe? But they're less
> > ideological than Kuttner and they don't read books anyway.
>
> I don't know either, but the lack of reading among the netroots isn't
> a problem for them. that is what Amazon is for! That is what a blog is
> for! You can read the first chapter at Amazon and that is so totally
> good enough. Better yet, you can read a blogger you respect or who
> everyone basically respects (because they link to them) who's read the
> chapter and, that way, you can speak authoritatively about the book!

Anyone who cannot have _correct_ opinions on thousands of books she hasn't read is in bad shape, because no one is _ever_ going to come close to reading more than a small proportion of the books she needs to read to have any sense of reality. OF COURSE one depends on others for most of one's knowledge of the contents of what's been published.

Carrol