[lbo-talk] me on Kuttner's latest

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Jan 11 09:49:55 PST 2008

Dennis Claxton wrote:

> > My guess would be that parents spend far more time talking to
> > children age 0-4
> >than they do to children age 4-13, and that thereafter the conversation
> >drops through a black hole, because it now depends wholly on the child,
> >who isn't interested.
> >
> >Carrol
>
> I know what you mean. But I don't know about the "wholly on the child" part.

Probably an exaggeration. But it is probably _vital_ to talk a lot with infants from birth to 3, and pretty important to talk to young children up to the age of 7 or so. After that it probably makes less difference, either positively or negatively. Unless someone talks a lot to infants they are apt to end up a mess.

Carrol