[lbo-talk] Environmentalism: Foiled by Vanity

Peter Hart Ward pward at peterhartward.com
Fri Jan 11 15:42:27 PST 2008

I got a sobering lesson vis-a-vis the seriousness the issue of environmental damage by humans is given following a post I made on AlterNet several months ago. In the post, I published my email (and real name, normally I post anonymously there) soliciting people 'actually serious' about doing something to affect change to send me a message. One (of five) email symbolized the state of the left perfectly: the corresponded, a woman, admonished me for bad spelling (and various other typos) in my blog post and then went on to quiz me to see if I'd read the 'right books' on climate change (I had not, of course). I replied, in effect saying I didn't see what my bad spelling and other verbal atrocities had to do with global warming, apologizing for what, I believe, is a genuine, if minor, "cognitive deficit" that I have vis-a-vis writing, and, finally, in effect accusing her of persecuting me. She did not reply.

Whatever we tell ourselves, its apparent that, for now at any rate, stopping the destruction we are doing ranks vastly lower (in practice) in the Grand Hierarchy than, as it were, looking good in the sight of God.

Peter