[lbo-talk] Classist t-shirt of the day

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 12 00:20:00 PST 2008

Yeah, a lot of it was Lydon taking the piss out of all kinds of stuff. Some of PiL's early material was stuff Lydon had written for the Pistols, but that MacLaren disapproved of, for whatever reason, apparently. Too serious or something. Like this great, early PiL song, "Religion," written by Lydon when he was in the Pistols, but thought to be too solemn for them to ever record or perform:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4bGO-cu1_Y

Great lyrics, quite a level up from the Pistols' stuff!

And even PiL would do the occasional Pistols cover, like this live cover of "Bodies" from the mid to late 80s when Lydon's voice hovered in this really high pitch that used to annoy me:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lYHXEi-q3zk

Early PiL guitarist Kieth Levene, ex-Clash member, is to the post-punk guitar sound (flange &, far less reliant on power chords) what Toni Iommi is to metal's guitar sound.

-B.

Chris Doss wrote:

"I think a lot of PiL was Lydon taking the piss out of his listeners. 'This what you want, this is what you get' being repeated endlessly over a dance track, for instance. Don't get me wrong; I really like PiL."