[lbo-talk] [Marxism] Subprime crisis

Patrick Bond pbond at mail.ngo.za
Mon Jan 14 01:04:14 PST 2008

Sorry, just getting to a few more replies/rebuttals.

Julio Huato wrote:
> Just as I don't understand Patrick's qualms with the paper. How can
> multicollinearity be a problem in *this* case?
Because the subprime mortgages, current account deficit, public debt, relatively stagnant GDP etc etc are symptoms of a deeper problem.

> And why is it wrong
> for R&R to focus on the U.S. and limit the analysis to the experience
> of rich countries?

How can this story not be told without noting international financial contagion, financial imperialism, the spatial fix, globalisation...

> That doesn't go as far as believing that crisis is the regular
> mode of being of capitalism, as Patrick seems to think,
Not at all. The crisis comes, as Cox defined it most usefully, when a system's reproduction is not automatically perpetuated by self-correcting features but instead needs an exogenous shock whose logic is contrary to the system's laws of motion. There was not a 'crisis' in that sense from the 1940s-60s, but by the late 1960s systemic overaccumulation and crisis displacement processes began to be evident.

> If I understand him correctly, Doug has been reluctant to anticipate a
> serious mess in the U.S. economy as he's come to expect a savvier
> policy response
Savvy means an earlier bailout? Isn't that always the strategy of the ruling lads: move the devalorisation elsewhere? In which case Doug's mistake in downplaying the economic problems until they bit him in the ass is a function of not recognising the potentials for the internal crisis (overaccumulation and financial speculation) to grow to such large proportions from early on, and not recognising the scope of capital's collateral damage and in some cases (e.g. Iraq) the resistance.

> from the central bankers, more effective that people
> in the left typically grant them. Curiously, this has coincided with
> greater humbleness on the part of the central bankers themselves.

They were humble for a few months in 1998 too. Some even tried a post-Washington gambit. That's why comrade Doug and others with market-watching skills who see the mess unfold now should have been more like Chicken Little, instead of being so damn sanguine. A good model, I'd say, was Dean Baker at www.cepr.net, who called the real estate bubble a bubble long before anyone else awoke.

Cheers, P.