[lbo-talk] Nazi popular support

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Mon Jan 14 07:01:16 PST 2008

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008, B. wrote:

> Of course, I dunno how many stayed away from the polls, or if they were
> rigged, or what.

I think you hit it on the head there. And I think the article you cite is probably the ur-source of this figure. But if you go further on, it makes clear that this was a non-secret ballot with threats for disobedience explicit; plus all "spoiled" ballots were cast aside rather than counted as nos, which is absurd when it's a two-box ballot and the spoiling consisted of things like writing commie slogans on your ballot. And adding insult to injury, Hitler got the majority of Jewish votes and 99.99% of all votes in Dachau. So yeah, I think it was probably rigged
:o)

http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/61/198.html

<snip>

The German people were asked to vote whether they approved the

consolidation of the offices of President and Chancellor in a single

Leader-Chancellor personified by Adolf Hitler. By every appeal known to

skillful politicians and with every argument to the contrary

suppressed, they were asked to make their approval unanimous.

Nevertheless 10 per cent of the voters have admittedly braved possible

consequences by answering "No" and nearly [text unreadable] made their

answers, ineffective by spoiling the simplest of ballots. There was a

plain short question and two circles, one labeled "Yes" and the other

"No," in one of which the voter had to make a cross. Yet there were

nearly 1,000,000 spoiled ballots.

The results given out by the Propaganda Ministry early this morning

show that out of a total vote of 43,438,378, cast by a possible voting

population of more than 45,000,000, there were 38,279,514 who answered

"Yes," 4,287,808 who answered "No" and there were 871,056 defective

ballots. Thus there is an affirmative vote of almost 90 per cent of the

valid votes and a negative vote of nearly 10 per cent exclusive of the

spoiled ballots which may or may not have been deliberately rendered

defective.

<snip>

Nazi opinion is not disposed to be altogether cheerful about the

result. When one high official was asked by this correspondent to

comment on it he said:

"Obviously we feel the effects of June 30."

He referred to the execution of Ernst Roehm and other Storm Troops

chiefs.

That is also the opinion of many other Germans, especially among the

more substantial classes. They interpret the result as the beginning of

a protest against the rule of arbitrary will and as an effort to force

Chancellor Hitler back to the rule of law.

[i.e., they consider 10% of people being willing to brave consequences

of voting no an large act of resistance, the way we would consider a

large mass demonstraion. --MP]

<snip>

Interesting also are the following results: the hospital of the Jewish

community in one district cast 168 "Yes" votes, 92 "Noes," and 46

ballots were invalid. The Jewish Home for Aged People in another

district cast 94 "Yes" votes, four "Noes" and three invalid ballots.

This vote is explainable, of course, by the fear of reprisals if the

results from these Jewish institutions had been otherwise. It is

paralleled by other results outside Berlin.

In all Bavaria Chancellor Hitler received the largest vote in his favor

in the concentration camp at Dachau where 1,554 persons voted "Yes" and

only eight "No" and there were only ten spoiled ballots.

<end excerpt>

Michael