[lbo-talk] Nazi popular support

Peter Lavelle untimely_thoughts at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 14 08:48:04 PST 2008

German support was never really as strong as many believed. The Nazis played upon "be with us, not against us." And it worked most of the time (until about '43). The Nazis were keenly interested in public opinion. They knew that they didn't have overwhelming support - they just wanted passive support (on the back of economic recovery and later winning wars). It is no cooincidence the Nazis resisted total war mobilization until '44 - which proved very unpopular). Also, there is the difference between supporting the regime and Hitler as a person, they rarely overlapped.

Chris, I have some books on public opinion in Nazi Germany here with me in Moscow, if you are interested.

--------------------------------- Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.