[lbo-talk] [Marxism] Subprime crisis

Patrick Bond pbond at mail.ngo.za
Mon Jan 14 19:55:12 PST 2008

Doug Henwood wrote:
>> Because the subprime mortgages, current account deficit, public debt,
>> relatively stagnant GDP etc etc are symptoms of a deeper problem.
>>

> What, the crisis of capitalism?

Aye, Doug, the overaccumulation crisis.

> Has the deeper problem always been there -
> for all 700 of O'Connor's years?

No Doug, it gets really bad at certain times in the accumulation cycle.

> You didn't answer my objection the other day that the use of "fix"
> implies something of a dirty trick and one that isn't going to last.

'Dirty'? I guess so. Moving problems around is sometimes a trick - witness the way Treas.Secretaries from John Connolly to Larry Summers described events as diverse as the Bretton Woods Agreement default to the Asian crisis - and usually the fix doesn't last. The last 'fix' that worked was a massive devaluation of economic deadwood that was sufficiently far-reaching to restructure capitalism in all sorts of ways: the Great Depression and World War II. What's happened since is a set of partial devaluations and bubble-building displacements that moved vast amounts of capital this way and that without solving the underlying problem of overaccumulation.

> But geography has been part of capitalism since forever too - regions
> rise and fall, sectors rise and fall, the whole thing is a dizzying
> and brutal show.

You describe uneven development well, but don't factor in its *amplification* during periods of overaccumulation crisis and financial bubbling (the subject of a thick PhD which I believe lies dust-adorned in your bookshelf: Uneven Zimbabwe).

> Ok, so the crisis is now almost 40 years old? That's a lot shorter
> than 700 years, but really, Patrick, that's an awfully long crisis.

Aye, the lads running the show learned lots from the last big one, especially how to ramp up state spending (in spite of Reagan/Thatcher) and offer financial bailouts (unlike 1929) and screw other countries (they have an IMF/WB/WTO now) so as to keep the game in play.

> you seem to think that capital won't be successful
> at coming up with another model. The U.S. could, under the Dems, go
> into some bastard Progressive Era.

Yes, that's an option, one that could even be extended globally (as any 'solution' must), and indeed David Harvey writes of a global New Deal as an option for the ruling class in his book New Imperialism. I think that's myopic, because of the balance of class power at the global scale and the neolib-neocon fusion in all the multilateral institutions. There's just no indication that the ruling crew can coordinate any kind of reform of *anything* at the global scale anymore. Am I wrong? (I hope so.)

>> Savvy means an earlier bailout? Isn't that always the strategy of the
>> ruling lads: move the devalorisation elsewhere?
>>
> Yeah sure why not? Works for them, doesn't it?

Up to a point. Then people fight back.

> And what about, say the, systemic distribution of the costs of the
> S&L bailout? The masses paid, but a total collapse would have cost
> them more.

Well you'd agree it would have been fair if Neil Bush and Jim Wright and those guys had paid a *little* bit, not so? Jesse Jackson put it well (I worked on this with him in 1988-89): "We didn't go to the party. We didn't make the mess. So why are we the ones doing the cleaning up?" The metaphor works more and more.

>> In which case Doug's
>> mistake in downplaying the economic problems until they bit him in the
>> ass
>>
> I've said the housing bubble was waiting to burst since 2005.

And downplaying contagion and the broader structural problems ever since? Like above?

>> is a function of not recognising the potentials for the internal
>> crisis (overaccumulation and financial speculation) to grow to such
>> large proportions from early on, and not recognising the scope of
>> capital's collateral damage and in some cases (e.g. Iraq) the
>> resistance.
>>

> I don't get what Iraq has to do with subprime. I never really got how
> David Harvey knows that the Bush admin was trying to compensate in
> politics for a decline in U.S. economic power; there's no evidence
> that the Bush admin ever thought that the U.S. was in decline.

It has to do with resistance, as I indicated. For Harvey, the Iraq attack was partly about competitive position in relation to Chinese access to oil. Surely you'll recognise neocon paranoia about China?