[lbo-talk] Neo-Lamarckianism???? Come on!

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Tue Jan 15 04:23:14 PST 2008

The 18th-century wit (and a good bit more), Rev. Sydney Smith, when walking through an Edinburgh alleyway, saw two women shouting abuse at one another across the alley from their tenement windows. "They'll never agree," he said. "They're arguing from different premises."

(And Flann O’Brien improved on the line in At Swim Two Birds: "The conclusion of your syllogism, I said lightly, is fallacious, being based upon licensed premises.") --CGE