[lbo-talk] Bradley effect

bitch at pulpculture.org bitch at pulpculture.org
Tue Jan 15 05:09:41 PST 2008

At 08:00 AM 1/15/2008, John Adams wrote:
>On Jan 14, 2008, at 2:01 PM, Charles Brown wrote:
>
> > See also the whole history of the myth of Black man as rapist and
> > murderer of white women ( when in the main, of course, it was white
> > masters and men raping Black women, in fact). Angela Davis discusses
> > the
> > myth of the Black rapist in _Women, Race and Class_.
>
>There's a book out about the Little Rock Central High struggle now that
>purports to re-examine what happened, largely sympathetic (I'm
>told--haven't read it yet) to Faubus and claiming that interracial
>sexuality was the key driver behind white racism. I'm going to read it
>eventually--has anyone else? It's _Turn Away Thy Son_, by Elizabeth
>Jacoway.
>
> John A

i should think so. i just finished reading Matt Wray's _Not Quite White_ where he argues that the enforcement of the race line was largely put in place to keep white trash from having sex with and marrying blacks and native americans. Apparently, the rhetoric against white trash, in the south, was that they were oversexualized beasts who couldn't keep their legs closed and, worse, couldn't maintain a normal family life and insisted on trying to marry outside their race. i have a few posts about it at the blog -- under books > not quite white and whiteness.