[lbo-talk] Writers' strike

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 15 10:39:21 PST 2008

berber carpet bomb wrote:
> it's not replacing you with another worker, it's replacing you with
> copies of you. by filming your lectures, they can simply have you
> teach the course over and over again, without ever paying you but for
> your one stint teaching. by reproducing your lectures and the tests
> you come up with, they don't even have to do that. They can just
> compile it into a book and sell it to students. they've already paid
> you a salary, chump, so don't expect any money for the book of your
> lecture notes they'll sell over and over and over again.
>
> i love how people like you, an artist who works in media that can't be
> replicated very easily (last I knew, you were in metal working), can
> be so cavaliar about the rest of us who don't -- and have to make a
> buck.

I don't see myself any differently than any other laborer. I get paid for my labor. The actual skill is, for the sake of such discussions, nearly irrelevant. How is my position too cavalier about others? Does the guy working at Wal-Mart distribution have IP rights for innovations he creates on the job? Does the sous chef own any recipes she creates or do they belong to the restaurant and/or executive chef? Very few people get IP protection for their creative work. Either we all should or we all shouldn't. How is it cavalier towards others my not demanding rights in the workplace they don't have? I have to make a buck from my labor just like everyone else. The fact that I am an artist and perhaps not as easily replicated could be considered additional remuneration enough.

From my vantage point I have a job I love and that is a creative outlet. That puts me ahead of where I was before I began earning a living making art in my opinion. However I am also expected to support a scheme that gives me a perpetual income stream from my labors, as opposed to getting paid only for my direct labor like almost everyone else who don't have that same opportunity, otherwise I'm displaying a cavalier attitude about them? I don't get your thinking here. I value your opinion so I'm asking for clarification. I could be accused of refusing to stand in solidarity with other artists or workers who stand to benefit from enhanced IP regulations and remunerations. Is it that I'm supposed to jump at any opportunity to enhance my income even if it comes attached to the rather ugly concept of monopoly control on ideas? With the writers if they don't confiscate that income the corporation will get it so better the artist than the corp. but honestly better none of them get it in my opinion. Why enshrine ideas or creativity over actual labor? That is what IP is. The belief that ideas are more worthy than labor and so need monopoly protection.

John Thornton