[lbo-talk] Why am I so annoyed by James Kunstler's The Long Emergency?

Colin Brace cb at lim.nl
Tue Jan 15 16:16:55 PST 2008

I like reading JHK as a urban planning critic; when he analyzes why compact urban centers tend to be more satisfying on various levels than suburban sprawl, it resonates with me, partly because I live in the center of a particularly dense European city. To be sure, Jane Jacobs and Lewis Mumford riffed on many of these themes before he did.

Kunstler is a lot less satisfying to read as a peak oil prophet; In the aftermath of Katrina, he forecast all kinds of doomsday scenarios in his blog, none of which came to pass. It made taking him seriously a little more difficult.

--

Colin Brace

Amsterdam

http://lim.nl