[lbo-talk] A Mac in my future

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Tue Jan 15 16:24:09 PST 2008

Julio writes:

> Hey,
>
> People here are tech savvy. I'm planning to abandon the Win-PC ship
> and buy a Mac for me for the first time in my life. The decision has
> been complicated today by Jobs announcement of a newer line of
> laptops. Anyway, since I bought my first computer -- in 1995! -- I've
> had Win-PCs. Words of advice (on- or offlist) as to how to get used
> to and up to speed with Mac in the shortest period of time will be
> welcome. And a naive question: How am I supposed to run all my Win-PC
> software within the Mac? I've heard that's possible.
>
> Thanks in advance.
=================================== I've been weighing the same thing - mostly because I tried and don't like Vista.

I have some additional questions:

a) I've never experienced serious virus or spyware issues with Windows. Isn't that supposed to be the big selling point for the Mac?

b) Will I notice any difference in download time for the internet or in switching between programs? Doesn't the first depend on the ISP rather than the machine or its operating system, and the second on the amount of RAM?

c) I don't use a computer much for graphic applications so that's not an issue, although as video becomes more important it probably will be. Any advantage to having a Mac here?

d) I believe the Mac has something called Boot Camp which allows you to also work in Windows - but at additional cost and also more slowly, I've heard. Also, I've burnt most of our CD collection onto WMA files which won't play on a Mac - isn't that so?