[lbo-talk] A Mac in my future

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jan 15 17:59:25 PST 2008

On Jan 15, 2008, at 6:59 PM, Julio Huato wrote:

> People here are tech savvy. I'm planning to abandon the Win-PC ship
> and buy a Mac for me for the first time in my life. The decision has
> been complicated today by Jobs announcement of a newer line of
> laptops.

Just got an email announcement of them. Wow they're gorgeous. My poor MacBook - which I only got in November - looks so old and clunky now!

> Anyway, since I bought my first computer -- in 1995! -- I've
> had Win-PCs. Words of advice (on- or offlist) as to how to get used
> to and up to speed with Mac in the shortest period of time will be
> welcome.

I find it all pretty intuitive, but I am on my 8th or 9th Mac since my first in 1986, so I'm probably not an objective judge. You should be able to start working with it inside 10 minutes. The set-up is incredibly simple.

> And a naive question: How am I supposed to run all my Win-PC
> software within the Mac? I've heard that's possible.

Yes you can. It runs as native code, too, not through some annoying emulator.

I recently installed Windows XP on my MacBook. What a hideous thing. It actually uses the phrase "checking for connectivity" on the set-up screen. Can't MSFT afford any designers and writers?

Doug