[lbo-talk] Bradley effect

berber carpet bomb berber.carpet.bomb at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 08:32:07 PST 2008

On 1/16/08, Charles Brown <charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us> wrote:
> Bradley effect
> bitch at pulpculture.:
> There are a bunch of local histories of various neighborhoods and I was
>
> reading one about a neighborhood that successfully fought back against
> the
> way real estate agents played people. I hadn't ever heard of this, but
> your
> story reminded me of this book. Basically, real estate agents would try
> whip up fear of blacks moving in, suggesting that their house values
> would
> go down, so they better sell now, and fast, before it got worse.
> Apparently, they were banking on people selling off at low prices, and

Yeah. Carrol wrote offlist and reminded me of the name. i didn't realize it happened in the 50s. Thought it was an 80s phenom.

What I'm not sure I understand is, how did real estate people think they'd make money? they assumed they'd scare people into selling low and that they could still sell high? it seems counterintuitive, to me. Did it actually work -- to make them money?