[lbo-talk] Neo-Lamarckianism???? Come on!

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Wed Jan 16 08:47:36 PST 2008

C. G. Estabrook wrote:
> [God] is the unknown answer to the question that the universe
> by its existence poses. To say that God is the reason/cause that the

> universe exists is to say nothing about how the universe exists,
which
> science investigates.

^^^^^

CB: Isn't God not just the unknown, but _unknowable_ , unknowable to humans ? A fundamental difference between belief in God and science is that science holds that nothing is unknowable _in principle_. ( The pun works, by the way). There is a lot unknown, but theoretically, nothing is unknowable for science ( except the infinite; see below)

This is the problem with God "in" science. God is inherently an insoluable mystery for humans, and so the introduction of God into scientific discourse terminates its scientific character by giving up on being able to know whatever is being investigated.

In science, "God" does enter as the infinite. We are finite beings , so in principle we cannot know the infinite.

Not being able to know the infinite means we cannot know absolute truth. Our knowledge of the finite is therefore knowledge of relative truth.