[lbo-talk] Patrick Bond responds on Chinese labor market

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Jan 16 12:56:28 PST 2008

[this bounced because the whole article was appended, bringing the length of the post to 50k, which is just too long - is there a URL? - needless to say, these stats are at odds with the Conference Board's, which show total employment up 14.4% from 1990-2002, or 1.1% a year - a 3% annual decline compounds to 43% over 12 years, which is just totally implausible - I don't see how you get 10% growth in GDP with a near-halving of employment]

From: Patrick Bond <pbond at mail.ngo.za> Date: January 16, 2008 3:46:46 PM EST To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] more China stats

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Patrick's view of a shrinking Chinese labor market is hard to
> support with actually existing stats, though perhaps he has some
> better ones.

Ah, I remember now, that Marty is away in Ecuador on sabbatical and off email. Ok, here's the key 'graf from his MR article with Paul: "Analysts that do acknowledge the difficult conditions under which Chinese workers labor, generally view them as a temporary cost that must be paid as China continues its industrial forward march.^ As they see it, what is critical is that, in contrast to much of Africa and Latin America, China’s industrial growth continues to draw more and more Chinese into formal labor-market relations, thereby advancing modernization and a progressive process of development. However, they are wrong... Significantly, regular formal wage employment in China’s urban sector actually declined at an annual average rate of 3 percent over the period 1990-2002. Total regular (formal and informal) wage employment remained basically unchanged over this period, registering a zero average rate of growth. Only irregular employment grew, increasing at an annual average rate of 18.5 percent."