[lbo-talk] Patrick Bond responds on Chinese labor market

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Wed Jan 16 21:56:02 PST 2008

On Wed, January 16, 2008 9:20 pm, Patrick Bond wrote:

> Here's the gist of the problem you have now. I don't know about NY
> State, Doug, but we in South Africa - and I assume our Chinese comrades
> - get very annoyed when the state tries calling informal sector work
> 'jobs'.

There's overwhelming evidence that China is in the throes of a genuine economic boom. Polarizing, yes; ecologically toxic, no doubt -- but a boom nonetheless.

The irony is, China is succeeding thanks to a powerful developmental state, tight controls on finance and capital flows, and massive investment in state industry -- about as far from neoliberalism as you can get.

-- DRR